The project is targeted to:
- design and develop a VSAT network system offering data-oriented, variable rate telecommunication services on demand with both full-dynamic (DAMA) and reservation basis resource assignment scheme
- provide an open automation interface toward an external telemedicine services management system - TOS - to offer booking and scheduling of medical resources and telematic services; the TOS will rely on the DESNET system for the provision of physical data carriers through satellite
- implement an operational Pilot Network, with full automation of the telemedicine services implemented by the SHARED network, composed of a total of 11 VSAT terminals
The project is expected to set up an operational, self-sustained via satellite Telemedicine Pilot Network operated by the TelBios service provider over the DESNET networking platform.
The network elements, named Data Earth Stations (DES), are under control of the DESNET Control Center (DCC), the centralized facilty in charge to monitor, operate and command the whole network; to minimize the cost of small scale networks the ETS 300.161 compliant DCC functionality may be supported by one of DESs configured to manage the network control functions in addition to user traffic.
The network architecture comprises two logically overlapped sub-networks covering the population of DESs, the Traffic Data Network and the Service Data Network, both using satellite carriers as transmission media.
The Traffic Data Network (TDN) is characterized by a fully meshed topology with DAMA/PAMA access schemes employing continuous, SCPC (Single Channel Per Carrier), variable bandwidth satellite carriers; the Service Data Network (SDN) is based on a continous TDM outbound carrier (from DCC) and 1-4 TDMA inbound carrier(s) (to DCC, collision type access protocol): DESNET is a self-standing network not requiring any special additional telecommunication infrastructure to be fully displaced and operated.
The DES architecture is optimized for a high quality, professional desktop solution oriented to symmetrical or asymmetrical interactive services up to 2048Kbps (384Kbps for the implemented configuration): WAN-enabled UDP/IP based interfaces are offered to external application-oriented systems to request telecommunication sessions, gather session booking information and implement full automation of the offered network services. The system provides an integral accounting system and user-friendly, Internet remotizable, Station and Network level management Clients based on Windows-style GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces).
The planned implementation milestones are:
- Deployment of DESNET Control Center and 2 DESs: May 1999
- Retrofitting of the SHARED/DICE network and network commissioning: Dec 1999
- Pilot operations (by TelBios in the framework of another contract): Dec 1999 - Jun 2000
The pilot operations will run on a network displaced on 8 Italian sites and 3 East-European sites.
- Fully meshed network topology, SCPC-DAMA/PAMA access schemes
- Automatic bandwidth-on-demand capacity assignment
- Multiple services: continuos presence point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and broadcast mode videoconference, variable rate data sessions
- Symmetrical/asymmetrical data rates, half & full-duplex
- Transactional data
- Open interface to higher hierarchy application systems
- Centralized network Monitoring &
- Control Centralized session accounting system
- LAN/WAN-remotizable station and network management clients
Development of a flexible, open and cost-effective SCPC/DAMA VSAT networking platform oriented to videoconferencing via satellite for tele-medicine, distance learning, business video and intranet data services;
Setup of a fully operational tele-medicine Pilot Network
The DESNET network is operational and it is currently composed of the following elements.
In terms of infrastructures, the pilot operations relay on the Pilot Network composed of:
- the DESNET DCC
- 2 DES terminals
- 7 SHARED terminals retrofitted to provide DAMA/PAMA capabilities
- 1 SHARED terminal retrofitted and located as spare at DCC site
The pilot operations started involving the DCC located in Rome since 9/03/2000, at Science Park San Raffaele that was upgraded and retrofitted to perform the functions of master station within the network, and 2 DES terminals deployed at the ISMETT in Civico Hospital Palermo and Habib Thameur Hospital in Tunis.
Last Update: 10 Aug 2007