Programme Element: ARTES 34
Reference nr.: 08.153.64
Planned Tender Issue: quarter 4, 2014
The target of these activities is designing and developing new promising applications for the consumer and business segments, as well as the integration of both new and existing applications in a suitable technical and operational set-up, which combines satellite and terrestrial components (e.g. gap fillers, user terminals, ground segment, terrestrial backhaul, security platform). This necessarily involves a number of different actors (beside the end users, the satellite operator, the system integrator, the applications provider and the service provider).
The basis for this is indeed provided by the system platforms, which are developed in the specific planned activities.
All this must be put into a coherent and functional context, able to support the applications with adequate technical stability and sound operational capabilities.
The main objectives to be pursued by the S-band applications activities will be:
- Identify and characterise the most promising applications for the selected service segments. Typical example of applications will be consumers' entertainment (live and cached), geo localised information, SCADA-like vehicular monitoring and safety, emergency communications for institutional users;
- Carry out a development roadmap for making available the identified applications into the S-band system (e.g. definitions, specifications, design, development, procurement, integration, verification, provisioning of the associated supporting services);
- Develop an abstraction layer between the communication infrastructure and the application layer enabling the logical separation of system and service enablers from the application framework, applicable both for the infrastructure and the terminals;
- Develop the necessary support functions as authorisation, authentication, usage monitoring, reporting on system and subscriber level;
- Develop the required interfaces, protocols, workflow, user-interface and validate the required performance requirements, both for the infrastructure and the terminals;
- Develop the required elements to support legal requirements, e.g. legal intercept;
- Develop a security framework, based on existing or adapted security technologies that satisfy the requirements of the different targeted services, and integrate applications into it;
- Assess the adequacy of the S-Band system to respond to the applications requirements through technical assessments and verifications ;
- Provide real proof of concept, through demonstration, validation and dissemination activities, of the benefits of the S-band when integrated in an end-to-end context.
Derive possible adaptations and/or enhancements to the different elements/building blocks (e.g. user terminals, gap filler, ground segment, etc.) of the considered service segment that could be implemented in upcoming S-band systems.